What is Office Insurance

It doesn’t matter whether you’re an Accountant or a Zoologist, the principles of office insurance are the same. You need cover for your Contents, Equipment and Public & Employers Liability. Generally policies come as a package and can include covers such as laptops and phones away from the office, business interruption and in some cases the fraudulent acts of employees. Policies can be tailored to include various levels of cover to suit your needs.

Buildings & Tenants Improvements Insurance

If you own the premises your office is in then you may need to include cover for buildings if not covered under a block policy. This will cover the physical building including fixtures and fittings in the event of a loss such as a fire or flood. If you lease the premises you may want to consider insuring the physical changes you have made to the premises such as carpets or flooring and individual offices or meeting rooms built at the premises.

Office Contents & Equipment Insurance

Whether you are a sole trader with no employees or you have 50 staff working from your premises you will need to cover contents such as furniture, filing cabinets, reception desks and most importantly, coffee machines. The cost of furnishing an office can be high so covering contents in the event of total loss is important. The policy can be extended to cover laptops and other equipment away from the office if needed.

Public & Products Liability Insurance

We’ve covered Public Liability as a separate topic (which can be found here sound.ie) but we’ll briefly cover it again. Public Liability Insurance provides cover in the event that you cause any injury, death or damage to property of any third party at your office or in the course of your business. This could be as a result of someone coming to your office for a meeting and tripping over a trailing cable on the ground.

Employers Liability Insurance

Just as you have a responsibility to members of the public, you also have a duty to keep your staff safe. Employers Liability covers you in the event that one of your employees suffers a loss during the course of their work. As above, an example of this could be an employee tripping in the office and injuring themselves.

Additional Covers to Consider

In the course of your professional duties you may want to consider other policies such as Professional Indemnity, Directors & Officers cover and Cyber Liability. You can learn more about these covers at sound.ie and we will be covering these policies as individual topics in the near future.


The Team at Sound Insurance are specialists in arranging Office Insurance for all trades and industries. Call us today on 01 524 2800 or visit sound.ie to find out more.